Celebrities I’ve Met
A few weeks ago, Drew Magary wrote a piece about celebrities he’s met in response to a question in the Deadspin Funbag. That same day Bobby Big Wheel took the mantle on his tumblr and followed suit:
On Deadspin today, Drew put together his list of celebrities that he has seen in person, and mentioned that everyone should have a running list. I think the rule for the list is that it has to be somewhere you wouldn’t expect to see them. For example, the fact that I’ve been to Yankees games doesn’t mean I’ve seen Derek Jeter before.
In this spirit, I’ve decided to offer mine. You’ll note the list will be particularly slanted in one direction as I was the beneficiary of an invite to a ridiculous birthday party I had no business being at. With that, here’s my list.
- Jay-Z, Jason Strauss’s birthday party at Tao Las Vegas, April 2006. Jay was really hard to get at, even though this party was dripping with celebrities. I was on the adjacent banquette, and when he stood up, I did too and shook hands and heaped praise on him like you’re supposed to do when in that situation.
- Shaquille O’Neal, Woodward (Ames Hotel) One Year Anniversary Party this year
- Hoopz, Shaq’s GF, Woodward party
- Jason Strauss, Owner of Tao, his own birthday party at Tao Las Vegas, mentioned above
- Paris Hilton, above party
- Nicky Hilton, above party
- Kyle Richards, this was well before Kyle was famous for the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. I had accidentally hit the jackpot in that the week before this Vegas trip, I had watched an E! True Hollywood Story about the Hilton Sisters. Kyle was prominently featured in the episode. She looked approachable, and I asked her to have Paris and Nicole come down from on top of the banquette they were dancing on because I knew them. I obviously didn’t, but told them we had met at Teddy’s, and I owned a Bentley dealership on Wilshire. Paris blew me off, but Nicky was back and forth with me all night, asking me for cigarettes. At one point she stumbled and I caught her. She was dating E from Entourage at the time.
- Mekhi Phifer, same party. Made two drinks from the stupid Grey Goose bottle service, one for him, one for me, and he waved his hand over his mouth like the drink was way too strong and put it back on the small, round table in the center of our banquette. Mekhi gave me literally hundreds of hi-fives that night. I honestly felt like I was as famous as he was. It was right before he got E.R.
- Nick Staal, same party. Came up in the elevator with him but didn’t really see him at the party.
- Perez Hilton, same party, was tagging along with Paris and some dumb DJ who I don’t know, and it was right after he became Perez Hilton after being forced to abandon page six six six.
- Scott Weiland, lead singer Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Relvover, same party. Drinking VOSS water and miserable. Talked to him about a show he played in Worcester.
- Lisa Ling, same party
- Jamie Lynn Sigler, same party
- Vanessa Manillo, same party. She fell on the ground at this party and there was a paparazzi picture that showed up in Us and People. Remember, this was around the time she was posing for knife pictures with Lindsay Lohan. She had just started dating Drew Lachey’s older brother.
- Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad, same party. He was really friendly and down to party because he was barely famous at this point. Was up for a lot of shots straight from those Grey Goose bottles. Nicky Hilton also got mentioned in People magazine for being spotted doing shots out of the same bottle.
- Ryan Seacrest, American Idol, Toy’s R’ Us in Times Square. It was 2o02, nobody recognized him, and he’s tiny. Also; had the requisite and cliche three Big Black Body Guards.
- Josh Beckett, Boston Red Sox, Saw him at Waterworks after he got shelled that Sunday afternoon. With a ton of bros.
- Peter King, Sports Illustrated Football Writer, See him all the time. He lives on my street, like ten doors down from me, swear to god.
- Matt Sorum, Guns N’ Roses, Velvet Revolver drummer, same Vegas party
- Tom Green, Times Square, happened to be walking through Times Square in 1999 and he had just walked out of Mtv.
- Sum 41, once famous, post-punk pop band, saw them all at a Donna’s concert at the Middle East Downstairs in 2001. Took shots together, got invited backstage to their show the following night by Cone, never went.
- Annie Duke, poker player, Celebrity Apprentice, saw her at a shitty Irish bar in Fanuiel Hall one night.
- Daniel Sunjata, Rescue Me, having dinner at banQ in Boston
- David E. Kelley, dinner at the above mentioned restuarant
- Vernon Jordan of Bill Clinton fame, Farm Neck, MV, later the same night at Lola’s in Martha’s Vineyard
- Tommy Davidson at Lola’s, Martha’s Vineyard
- David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox, Fundraiser
- Mel Gibson, Filming The Edge of Darkness on Washington St. and Union Park in my neighborhood after work one night.
- Cameron Diaz, Filming Knight and Day on Union Park.
- Amy Smart, Filming a pilot that apparently never got picked up, also on Union Park.
This list will be continually updated, as I remember others I’ve left out, or others I come across in my travels and travails.